Pups

Pups

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Post - The First

After reading some blogs of my friends, I thought I might give it a try. Also, having been off work for more than a week now because of "Snowmaggedon 2011", I am quite bored and need a new project.

I also enjoy talking about myself and recently have had quite a few things to talk about. So what better way to do that than to start a blog?

A little bit about me: I have been married for over a year now to my best friend. We have two Golden Retrievers, Mika and Roger, and they are our baby boys! However, we do have an actual baby girl on the way. She is due on April 15th and we can't wait until she arrives! As I type she is kicking my tummy and letting me know she is excited, too!  I am a Kindergarten teacher and I absolutely love it! This year has been my first year teaching (graduated from OSU in December '09) and it has been a great experience, though a bit tough at times. Basically, I lead a pretty good and simple life.

Recently, I did get a little bit of bad news, but I am being as positive as I can about it all.  I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I was NOT expecting that.  It was a routine test and it came back abnormal.  I still figured "Ah well. This happens. I'll go take the 3 hour test and it will be more accurate. There's no way I actually have this."  So I took the test, and my doctor called me the next day confirming the diagnosis. I was in shock! I have NONE of the risk factors. No symptoms...I thought it was ridiculous! The joy was being taken out of my very first pregnancy, and in its place was fear and worry that something would be wrong with my little baby girl!

So, I did some research and met with my dietician (no idea how to spell that) and a nurse yesterday.  They spelled out my meal plan for me and showed me how to use my blood testing meter to test my blood sugar levels.  I have to test my levels 4 times a day.  But I get to eat 6 times a day! Anyway, after talking to them, I feel much better about everything.  They assured me that the baby will be fine as long as I follow my meal and exercise plan and keep my blood sugar levels below the limits my doctor set for me. Also, I read that fetal movement (or lack thereof) can be a sign of some issues with baby.  But this little girl is constantly on the go! She kicks and pokes and rolls and who knows what else. She plays with me already! So that is also reassuring.

I started all of this yesterday and so far, my sugar levels have been below my limits.  YAY! I feel like I'm eating almost constantly, but I guess that's not so bad. It will be a little tougher when I go back to work, but I'll just tell the kids "Go learn stuff, Mrs. Boccacci needs a snack!" :)

Well, my plan is to stay determined and stay healthy for baby girl's sake. This will just make this whole experience even more special and even more worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment